So you want enterprise-class wifi at home, but don’t want to use a controller? Normally you install a Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points with a controller. This way you can easily manage multiple access points and keep them all in sync and up-to-date. But what if you don’t want to keep a pc running 24/7/? Do you really need to controller? Nope, you can just install the Unifi Ap with you mobile phone. This guide will tell you howto install an Unifi AP without a controller.
Choosing the right Access Point
Before we can start we need to get the right Access Point. I have written about Unifi ap’s before, check out this post for some insights one choosing and placing the Access Point.
Installing without the Controller
- So first we need the Unifi App from the Google Play store (or IOS app store), download the app on your mobile phone.
- Next, we need to install the Unifi AP, make sure it’s connected with an ethernet cable to your network. When the led is solidly white, you know that the AP is connected and in the factory default state.
- Start the app on your mobile devices.
- The Unifi AP will show up in the list of discovered devices. If you don’t see the access point, make sure your WiFi on your mobile device is enabled. Alternatively, you can scan the QR code on the back of the AP. (Click on the menu top right > Scan QR)
- It will ask for a username and password, the default is ubnt/ubnt. Just pick a strong password and continue.
- Scroll down and enter your Wifi name (SSID) and password. Click on Apply Settings when done. It will take a few seconds before you new network is available.
That’s all there is. As you can see, you can get a Unifi AP up and running within 5 minutes by just using your mobile phone.